When you got married, you probably never imagined a sheriff’s deputy showing up at your door to serve you with divorce papers. Unfortunately, that’s often what happens. And now that it’s happened to you, you probably want to know what to do next.

We can help.

If you need to know what to do when your spouse files for divorce in Colorado, here’s how to get started.

STEP 1: Visit the Colorado Judicial Website by clicking here to access the necessary paperwork.

STEP 2: Review the Petition for Dissolution of Marriage form.

As you get started with steps 1 and 2, I recommend that you read the appropriate guides based on whether you have children ages 19 or under with your spouse. There are flowcharts — this one if you have children and this one if you do not — on the state judiciary site that outlines all the steps of filing for divorce as well as General Steps on the site — this file if you have children and this one if you do not have children. These resources, combined with the information available on my website and my steps of divorce flowchart, will help you get an overall view of divorce in Colorado.

Once you’ve reviewed the pages listed above, it’s time for Step 3.

STEP 3: Complete the form for Response to Petition for Dissolution. There will be a small fee associated this this. You need to fill out this form to respond to your spouse’s divorce paper.

Go line by line and indicate your response to each allegation. For example, if they contend that the marriage is irreparably broken, if you agree,  you should state that. But if there is anything you disagree with in the petition, you should note that as well.

STEP 4: You may want to add relief that was not sought in the original petition. For example, if your spouse did not mention child support but you want it, add that in your response.

(Note that Word document versions of those files are also available on the judicial website.)

By the end of the whole process, you will serve divorce papers, complete your financials and parenting class, go to the initial status conference and either settle your case or proceed to a Permanent Orders Hearing. Depending on how contested the case becomes, you may need a Temporary Orders Hearing, mediation or experts to get the job done.

There is a lot to do in the divorce process. If you are confused about it or have questions as you go, call Andersen Law PC at 720-922-3880 or my cell phone at 303-808-4794 and I will call you back as soon as I can for your free consult.


Was this blog post helpful? Please spread the word!